Quantcast

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2013

Le Dauphin - St. Aizpitarte’s Infirmary




Unable to snag a Feb. 15th post-Valentine's Day table at the more romantic Les Magnolias, Co. and I ventured out to the decidedly unromantic Le Dauphin, Inaki Aizpitarte's tapas wine bar a couple doors down from his remarkable Chateaubriand - the latter, as anyone who has followed this blog is well aware, is one of my favorites.  As pithily described at  phyllisflick's Paris Notebook site, when Monsieur Aizpitarte took over Le Dauphin, a previously non-descript Parisian cafe, he called upon Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas who transformed the space "into a modern white cube carved from Carrara marble." That's one way of putting it.  Another way is to sit at your little table surrounded by walls of mirrors and imagine butchers of yore happily splattering the marbled floors with blood and guts, ash descending from their cigarettes, sweat pouring from their brows.  Maybe it's just me, but the exaggerated clash of marble and mirror has that kind of effect on me.  When I say unromantic, I mean clinical.  The centerpiece bar is where the action is, with scruffy clientele mixing with animated scruffy bartender/servers.















Although I enjoyed experimenting with the vague list of tapas offerings, I kept thinking about how much more enjoyable an evening at Chateaubriand would have been.  Still, when it comes to the spate of contemporary and oh so French tapas venues popping up around town, you have to rate Le Dauphin up there with Aux Deux Amis and Au Passage.  For lack of better documentation, here's the bill listing the various offerings that comprised our dinner, followed by some photos - good luck matching the photo correctly with the itemized dishes on the bill.

  
















 Tasty?  Check.  Diverse?  Check.  Inventive?  Check, well, for the most part.  Unforgettable?  Not really. I must admit, any time I can snag a risotto in black ink without having to book a flight to Valencia, I'm a happy camper.  But that clinical atmosphere got to me, and not in a good way.  Honey, I love you, but give me Chateaubriand.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely prefer this over Chateaubriand, simply for the non fussy nature of the place and better quality of food. Whilst the wildly experimental are still not to my taste, I did like the wine selection and the variety of small plates. Made for a very nice evening.

regards,
jennifer of SabrePC

AJ KIMMEL said...

Thanks for the comment. The two venues definitely cater to different targets. As I wrote, I liked the food at Le Dauphin, just couldn't get into the atmosphere. Maybe it's because when I'm forced to look at myself (in the mirrors) while I'm eating, I lose my appetite. I also love the experimental - hit or miss - and cheaper than playing roulette.

 
Real Time Web Analytics